Parachute Fitness and Yoga

1. Find information on the history of the parachute and how a parachute works.
  • Parachutes work by creating air drag. They use air to slow a person down to a safe speed. The history of a parachute is very long with a lot of people making their own tweaks through out the years. Da Vinci sketched his idea of parachute in 1495. Almost two hundred years later Veranzio made a device that used Da Vinci's sketch as a starting point and used it to jump off the tower of Venice. 
2. Create a parachute routine composed of various parachute activities learned in class.
  • I would first start by having students creative ripples, waves, storm to imitate the way the sea moves. From here I would ask students what happens to the water in the sea? I would explain how water is soaked up by clouds and have the students make a cloud. Then I would ask what comes from clouds? Students can answer with rain, snow, sleet, etc. I would then ask what happens what you get caught under a cloud? At this point I would have them make a could and step under and pretend that they are being rained or snowed on. 
3. Practice the yoga routine for a week and keep a journal of how you feel.
  • I'm not really a fan of yoga. I know that it is used to relax and relive stress, but I rather going running to relax and relive stress. I get bored easily and sitting around stretching does not sound fun to me.
4. Use stick figures to diagram each pose in the Salute to the Sun yoga routine.

1 comment:

  1. I like running just like you and can concur with your note on yoga. However, I do like this 5 minute routine as it strengthens my core. For runners I do suggest pilates as it is more dynamic then yoga and you still receive the benefits of strengthening your core and strecthing your muscles.

    ReplyDelete