Field Experience-Day Two

Today was our second day of field experience where we actually got to meet our host teacher. She was very nice and vverrryy organized which I love since it helps keep me on track. We went through the schedule for her classes and when she expects us to teach. She also went through a different way to write objectives, which I think her way of writing them is easier to assess. She says that instead of writing: In today's lesson, students will be able to successfully bump the volleyball successfully 7 out of 10 times over the net, we should say: In today's lesson, students will demonstrate correct technique when bumping by staying low, forming a platform with arms, having hands together, and lifting with legs. The reason I side with her way of writing objectives is because it's easier to assess them, and it gives the students a detailed description of what you are actually looking for.

On to the lesson. Today they were continuing with the hand-eye coordination stations and I worked with the students who were playing pickle ball. The first thing I noticed with the students that I was working with, is that when they picked sides, the partner that they picked went across from them. So they ended up playing AGAINST their partner, which I found interesting. When we got into the class lesson, I began to see why. Kids tend to pick partners based on who they are friends with, and a lot of times, who they know can play the game. This way, if you were playing on the same court as a weaker team, there ended up being one weaker player and one stronger player on each team. Which is exactly what we want to do when teaching skills in physical education.

I got more involved with the students than I did the first day. I helped explained to them why the ball was going so high when they hit it instead of straight so I got to demonstrate my knowledge of racquet ball activities which was pretty cool. I also got to practice with intertwining cognitive assessments in the lesson but periodically asking what the score was, to make sure they were actually keeping score, and asking them to tell me the rules. I felt that I was actually teaching the students instead of just standing there observing them for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment